Tayo ay tuldok lang

Cebu. 10.15.13 8:12 AM MLA.

It was a fine weather when I was on my home from an over night shift. In a few seconds I thought a plane was about to crash when I saw the people staring upward while running inside their houses, but when I knew a magnitude 7.2 hit Bohol I tried to focus going home and praying that everything should be fine way back home. A few minutes later everyone was calm but some aftershocks went on shaking the grounds, until 3 more weeks we still feel some tremors.

The last year's quake was most agonizing because I was 8 months pregnant and I have to do the evacuation 2 times that day... The funny part was when everybody has already gotten out of the building except for the pregnant woman who was struggling her way down at the fire exit, lol! that was the effect of adrenalin rush for normal people. In the afternoon a Tsunami false alert created a panic in the whole downtown, I was in the 5th floor while watching the people scrambling around like a disturbed colony of ants. 

That night I did not go to work in fear of another burst of shake, and the fact that my baby is at home I cannot risk to leave him with nanny alone. While watching the news I was saddened by the ruins of the old churches in Bohol. When I was young I've always wanted to tour all the churches in this lovely archipelago and when I marry I want to held the ceremony into one of these authentic holy grounds... But now, it will remain a history.

Taken last May 2011, a memoir of Baclayon Church in Bohol with family.

Cebu. 11.8.13

The super typhoon Yolanda blown the whole province with heavy gust of wind. That was the day I only realized why people had to do a panic buying, and for the first time in 27 years that I had to think for a survival strategy on my own. sheeshhhh! I had to stay at the hospital in fear of the typhoon breaking the window glasses of my house, I just thought it is safer in the hospital than inside my house alone. Just imagine the heavy wind that could break down a full grown mango tree, how much more a 46 kg petite girl like me? lol! I must have just gone crazy to go out in the stormy weather looking for another shelter but I just had a bad feeling staying at home alone. Oh my G! I thought I was part of the Brad Pitt movie World War Z, it was like a ghost town , there was a power shut down city-wide and the communication lines were cut.

I was talking to the hospital crews and only within the hour there were ambulance coming in and some locals were rushed to the emergency room. Some were hit by broken branches of  trees, most of them were tricycle drivers who probably doesn't know what a signal no. 4 typhoon is. lol! I went to a drugstore to buy something to eat but all ATMs and terminals were offline due to power shut down.. OMG! I think I won't die due to typhoon but of starve [When stupidity strikes in the midst of crisis], I should have withdrawn enough cash yesterday. Anyway, I had to talk to some staff there and one nurse I spoke was kind enough to share her sandwich :)

The day ends with darkness due to electrical power shut down, the night was very long and the townsmen were locked up into their houses listening to crickets. I looked outside and I can only see the spotlight of the eerie airport, I can't hear a single plane crossing the purple sky...



    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acceptance

Discovering Siquijor

Quality is ....